Wednesday, October 17, 2012

BDSM Library Finally Implodes





Well, this morning it appeared the BDSM Library finally imploded.  None of the links work.  All the stories appear to be missing.

When I first started posting my work at the BDSM Library, it was one of the top library sites on the internet.  It was clean looking, easy to navigate, simple to post stories, and actually moderated by a real person who took a moment to look at submitted stories and determine whether they met the minimum standards for publishing (meaning that they were at least readable.)

Over the last four or five years however, and to be honest, even longer than that, ever since the library was sold, it has been going down hill, struggling to find a balance.  I have continued to post the occasional piece there, as has Breanne Erickson, but like Breanne, I think I will begin to branch out.  The libraries issues are too large to deal with properly and while I hope they get their act together, I doubt I will post any additional pieces at the BDSM Library.

Too bad, too.  They helped me get started.

Why the pics below?  Because I felt like it.  Courtesy of Slaves In Love. 

*UPDATE: (10/19/12 4:00pm) I just checked the library again and it seems that whatever problem they were having has been fixed.  While their webmaster never responded to my email, I guess it got someone's attention!)

*UPDATE (10/28/12) Another check of the BDSM Library shows Steffi to be absolutely right.  Most of the functionality at the BDSM Library is gone.  While author pages and the site news pages are still visible, there are massive coding errors.  In addition, they span browsers.  I use Mozilla Firefox, but I also checked the site in Internet Explorer and the same coding errors popped up.  I also have STILL not received a reply from the BDSM Library's webmaster.

*UPDATE (11/01/2012) The coding issues that were apparent at the BDSM Library appear to be resolved, and yet the review system is still down and not accessible.     I'm going to presume that they will continue to work on the problem, but as of yet, it's kind of pointless. I'm not sure if the story submission pages are fully functional - it looks like you can still submit, but right now I'd recommend AfterDark Online, rather than the BDSM Library as a good posting spot!

*UPDATE (11/16/2012) In an earlier update I recommended Afterdark Online as a new library source for fledgling authors.  While Afterdark Online is a great forum, it's focus is not on the BDSM community.  Recently, Hellfire Caves has gotten their online library up and running and I'm rather impressed with it.  Mac, the moderator is fantastic over in the forums and I can easily recommend it.






11 comments:

  1. It's been a few days but the site is still down. It does not look good and with ASSTR also having problems, it's bad news for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree GhostWriter. I'll try to stay up to date on the issue with the BDSM Library and keep everyone informed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The library is back up, but there are still problems. It isn't letting people post reviews and all sorts of odd things are still happening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things have not gotten better at the BDSM Library and I have not received a response to my email. While previously posted stories are accessible, the review and rating system is totally screwed. Worse, we are now seeing coding errors on the screen as browsers have trouble interpreting their html code. Not good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. coding issues appear to be worse..it's almost totally unusable now

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ever since Rabbit1 passed away and Tork took over, the site has been going from bad to worse.
    I stopped reviewing at the Library, simply because the functionality to view one's own reviews was gone a while back.
    For the time being, the site seems to functon okay, but the forum gives a blank page, as does my profile, so, it seems as though those functions were simply left out as well, otherwise one would get an error instead of a blank page.
    Everything seems to indicate that the Library is going to continue as a simple dump site, that is, if someone keeps updating stories at all; otherwise, the site will die a silent death. Sad, really...

    ReplyDelete
  7. *UPDATE*
    On November 30, December 1 & 2, there have been updates and new stories were added to the Library. Still no forum access nor functionality for reviews or account access.
    However, since yesterday (December 5th) the site is inaccessible again...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today a week ago (August 1) the BDSMlibrary is back on-line and functions more or less like it did before, with the forum and accounts accessible.

    Some data has been lost and a few people --like myself-- might have to ask for a new password to access their account.

    Just thought you might be interested to know ;)

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jimmy, perhaps its just me and my computer, but I'm still not able to leave reviews or ratings for any story. I can't even get the page for leaving a review to come up. Can you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nope... I can't even sign-in or contact an admin/Torq. Been having a look on and off and the site's still very much under re-construction as it seems someone is working on the code: pages dissapear and re-appear or the server is unreachable.

    At least Torq made an announcement in the forum (which is also now-you-see-it-now-you-don't) on August 1st that the site was up again. Seems strange to me making such a statement since the site was never down and regularly updated with new stories -approx every 5 to 6 weeks- it was only that most features somehow got disabled. The latter could have to do with limited bandwidth and costs.

    The Library has a long story of crashes; almost a big one every year or so since 2005, with loss of data and some such. Up until recently someone started fiddling with the code, stories were up-to-date until the 27th of July. As of now, the site has been set back to the all but last update on June 25th...

    Anyway, I'll be on the lookout to see if the Library will get some or most of its functions back...

    ReplyDelete
  11. *UPDATE*

    Managed to get into my account. So far, only the personal account, the regular site and its fora are accessible.

    Clicking 'review' still gives a blank page...

    JJ

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on Michael Alexander's BDSM Blog! We love hearing from our fans. Whether it's a critique, a suggestion, or just a plain old "well done!" drop us a line! Or feel free to email us directly! You can find our address at our website! Thanks!